Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Hands

My father has the hands of a butcher. Strong and broad, his palm calloused from the grip of the knife, the rest of the skin softened from animal fat. Hands that are strategic and adept, like a surgeon with a sword, disassembling the pieces of meat that would fill the bellies of his customers. His hands sliced and broke bones, but also carefully and lovingly wrapped up each steak in brown butcher paper and placed it in the hands of each of his customers. He understood butchery as an art form, his carvings being sold off piece by piece bringing celebration and happiness to the table. When I think of my father's hands, strong and gentle, eager to do, to create as well as to cradle and comfort, it is clear to me how alike we are. I understand where that restlessness comes from that lingers inside of me, to do more, to be more passionate, to create more, to give more. My father's vast palms are abundantly giving and overflowing and I only hope to have half the pride for what I create that he does.

2 comments:

  1. Hands are incredible, thanks for sharing your memory about your father's hands! That is one thing I definitely remember about my grandmother--I think it has something to do with the sense of touch helps us know and remember things better. You have a wonderful writing style...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a wonderful description of your memory of your father's hands. <3

    ReplyDelete