Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Table for one

As much as food is something that brings people together, I sit here on this cold December evening in a little cafe on Avenue B, my hot cup of tea at my side, watching the sky change its colors alone. I know a table for one is sometimes much needed. At a table alone with a cookie and a cup you have license to do all those things you can't do at a big meal with lots of company. Eavesdrop on the people at the next table, ignore social graces, be completely comfortable in your own skin. Its my time, to have to myself, I can clear my mind, think about books, astrophysics, lady gaga, and no one will change the subject. I can think about people I'm not supposed to remember and imagine the lives I could have had. I can exchange glances with the boy in the gray sweater across the room, or stare intently into my notebook. Its on my terms. Because of my cup and cookie.

These are the little sweet moments when I have no one to check in with, no one that's worrying about me. Alone time with my food, to enjoy coffee harvested in a warm South American field. There's no one here to tell me its too strong, no one to tell me it was made wrong. Alone time with my food, to pick the crumbs from an oatmeal cookie off my plate with my finger tips, and savor each last morsel. No one to tell me the calorie content, no one to tell me the grams of saturated fats.

3 comments:

  1. i love reading your blogs!! and try to guess who this is reading it. i'll give you one hint, hazelnut chocolate...and by the way how was that oatmeal cookie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great blog..read all you posts...fresh mozzarella when you were 7? I am 34 and am still to scared to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, sister. I used to do that all the time! You've reminded me how much I loved it...I'm going to do it more in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete