Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Cook with Me!

"Ladies and Gentlemen across America, welcome to 'Cook with Me!' A show dedicated to teaching you how to make delicious meals in your very own kitchen. I'm your host, Christina, and I'll take you step by step, using ingredients right out of your pantry."

When I was eleven, I hosted a cooking show, broadcast from my kitchen, in my head. Those precious days of winter break just before Christmas when my parents were still at work, or shopping for last minute gifts. I would stay at home and bake. I gathered every little bowl and mug I could find and measure out the ingredients to display across our counter tops, a pinch of salt, two teaspoons of baking powder, a tablespoon of vanilla extract. As I added each ingredient, I made suggestions.

"Some grated orange zest in this mixture would work well to balance out the bold flavors of the dark chocolate."

"I always add an extra splash of Vanilla to give it a little bit more flair."

"Nutmeg would be a great addition to this recipe, if you happen to have any in the house."

I was a conductor, blending all of the movements to create a symphony for your taste buds. I was teaching America to cook by heart, and bringing them into my home by imagination, experiencing the excitement as the oatmeal cookies start to fill up the kitchen with with sweet, nutty cinnamon as though each time were the first time.

When I reached middle school, I somehow took to roasting chickens. It was amazing to me how simple it was to roast a chicken. I would massage the naked, little bird with olive oil, then make little slits to stuff with garlic and rosemary. I would fill the bottom of the pan with potatoes and onion, it was the perfect one pan meal that fed the whole family!. I could revolutionize the way America felt about cooking, one pimply, little chicken at a time.

As I write this, I remember my younger self. When we're younger, we always look forward, it doesn't even occur to look to the past. I can recall that driving force that has faded, and hope that there's an eleven year old out there right now, who's revolutionizing the world in his or her own mind. Sometimes I can feel myself at eleven yelling at the 24 year old me to get moving, everyone is waiting. Go teach them that they can do anything. Tell them at the very least, they can learn to cook with me.

2 comments: